For anyone interested the recipe for Nutella banana rice cakes I had on my Facebook page a few days back:
I adapted this recipe from Bijou Thomas’s feedzone portables based on what I had in my kitchen. These are tasty and fun to make and use during training, but half my recipe or wrap them really well (foil or plastic wrap) if you aren’t doing a lot of eating during training because they get a bit dry after a few days unwrapped. You can probably freeze some of the recipe as well, but I eat them so quickly I haven’t tried that yet.
- White rice (preferably calrose or another sticky rice)
- Cook 2 cups of rice with 3 cups of water (rice cookers are great for this) it should be kinda sticky when you are done
- while the rice is still warm (key! If the rice is cooled it won’t stick as well) spread half the rice in a parchment paper lined casserole dish (9×13, go with a brownie pan, 9×9, or other smaller pan if you are halving the recipe) the rice should be about a cm thick
- spread Nutella over the rice liberally
- slice a banana over the Nutella
- spread the other half of the rice over the top
- chill in the fridge for a few hours
- slice, wrap and enjoy!
I like these a lot for training, they are tasty and gentle on my stomach. I find a 3×3 bar to be a good substitute for a energy bar. If you like it, try your own variations, different toppings, peanut butter and jelly instead of Nutella, add some lentils to the rice, and tweet great discoveries at me (@triBC)!